Tarvin the village See below for award details
See below for the Civic Trust and Tarvin Trail
Tarvin is an ancient village situated at the key junction where the road to Nantwich, Lichfield and London leaves the Chester to Manchester Road. (map) These were primary transport routes in Roman times and the middle ages when the village was part of Lichfield diocese. In the 1960’s it expanded greatly after the water and sewerage infrastructure was upgraded. It has continued to expand and is today a thriving village with many commuters as well as local workers and retired people. The centre of the village is a Conservation Area with several listed buildings, notably the grade 1 listed Church built in the 14th century and now with Civil War battle scars. There was a major fire in 1752 that destroyed the centre of the village so there are some Georgian houses that were built as replacements. Next to the church is Church House, right, that was fully restored in the 1980’s. Tarvin’s position on the key London to Chester route led to the construction of three coaching inns, of which two remain and the other is a well-known chip shop.